- Household Emergency Relief Grant Program
Household Emergency Relief Grant Program
The application period for the Household Emergency Relief Grant Program has closed. If you have questions regarding a submitted application, please contact the Program Outreach Coordinator via SPARK-HER@finneycounty.org or at (620) 805-6767
This is sub-program 2 of 3 for PHASE 2 of the SPARK Grant program.
Application Intake Period: September 17, 2020 through November 16, 2020
Funding Allocation Summary: $1,092,446.50
Maximum Award: Up to $10,000 per applicant
This Program is designed to alleviate burdens on the most vulnerable individuals or households experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 and to provide greater economic security to residents of Finney County:
- Reducing the rent and utility burden on rental households and prevent homelessness for households impacted by COVID-19.
- Mitigating the risk of homeowners foreclosing on their homes due to financial hardship caused by COVID-19.
- Increasing the affordability of broadband access for Low and Moderate Income (LMI) households to improve access to telehealth, facilitate distance learning, and allow for remote work.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
Interested Applicants may apply for the Program through:
- Complete an application by visiting the online Application Portal;
- Schedule an appointment and apply in person with the Program Outreach Coordinator by sending an email to SPARK-HER@finneycounty.org
The general application process will be:
- Complete the intake form online, in person, or by phone with the Program Outreach Coordinator. Be sure to review the application document checklist and eligibility requirements prior to submitting an application.
- The County will review each Applicant's file and determine whether the Applicant is eligible for the Program and, if eligible, calculate the award.
- The Applicant may be requested to submit additional documentation to determine final eligibility and award amount.
- If the Applicant is approved, the County will issue payment directly to the creditor(s) on behalf of the qualified Applicant.
WHO CAN APPLY FOR THIS PROGRAM?
This Program is open to residents of Finney County who have been negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic:
Eligibility Criteria for All Applicants:
- Applicant’s primary residence is in Finney County.
- Applicant’s household income has been reduced as a result of COVID-19 (layoff, reduction of hours, business closed, required to quarantine, caring for school-aged children, etc.).
- Applicant’s landlord or property manager or mortgage company agrees to participate in the Program, as no direct payments will be made to the Applicant. All payments made on behalf of the applicant will be paid directly to the vendors.
Eligibility Criteria for Broadband Assistance:
Broadband assistance is reserved for households whose annual gross income does not exceed 80% of the Area Median Family Income for the State of Kansas for 2020 as defined by the United States Department of Housing (“HUD”).
Documentation Requirements for All Applicants
***All documents should be uploaded to the Application Portal:
- Form of Picture Identification
- Verification of all sources of income and assets.
- Last 30 calendar days of pay stubs for all adults age 18 and older, pension statement(s), social security award letter(s); and /or any documentation of any household income, this includes, but is not limited to the following documentation listed below:
- Federal / State Tax Returns;
- Employer Letter;
- Unemployment Letter;
- Verification of Child support / Alimony;
- Self-Employment Certification Form (to be submitted if the Applicant is self-employed).
- The Applicant should provide the documentation that is most representative of their current income during and post COVID-19. For example, if an Applicant made less money due to COVID-19, check stubs or an unemployment letter would be more representative than a 2018 tax return.
- Utility Bill(s) or Statements. Utilities that are eligible for this Program are as follows: natural gas, electricity, water, and sewage.
- Utility Bills for the months of July and August or a bill statement which captures this information; and
- Past due utility bills or statements.
- If applying for utility arrears (past due utilities), households may apply for up to 4 months of assistance.
- Any additional information deemed necessary to verify eligibility or determine the unmet need for the Program.
Documentation Requirement for Renter Households:
- A copy of an active Lease Agreement or a letter from the rental property owner detailing the amount of rent the tenant pays per month.
- In the case that the Applicant is behind on rent, the Applicant should provide documentation to show the amount of rent that is owed and for which months. Documentation examples are as follows:
- Letter or email from the Landlord or Property Manager detailing the rent that is owed; or
- Notice to Quit or any communication received from Landlord or Property Manager concerning late rent or missing rent payments.
Documentation Requirement for Owner-Occupied Households:
- Mortgage Statement showing the amount of Principal, Interest, Taxes, and Insurance:
- Homeowner must provide notification from Lender that the owner does not qualify for a mortgage forbearance or suspension of mortgage payment issued any period from March 2020 through October 2020.
- Documentation of mortgage owed.
WHAT ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE UNDER THIS PROGRAM?
Rental or Mortgage Assistance
- 1-4 months of full payment for arrears on rent or mortgage payments.
- 1-2 months of partial payment to cover the difference between the Applicant's rent burden for current & future rent or mortgage payment.
- 1-4 months of utility arrears (including: water, electric, or gas services)
- 1-2 months of utility assistance for future payments
- Utility assistance capped at $500.00 per month or at the average utility price determined from previous billing statements.
Broadband Assistance (LMI Households)
- Setup and installation fees of broadband services.
- 1-4 months of full payment on broadband services to pay for arrears and/or credit future payments