Kansas Homestead Refund

The Homestead Refund is a rebate program for the property taxes paid by homeowners. The refund is a percentage of your general property tax.

To qualify you must be a Kansas resident, living in Kansas the entire year. You must own AND occupy your home. Your total household income must be $34,450 or less, and you must also meet one of the following requirements:

  • Age 55 or older
  • Blind or disabled - any age
  • Have a dependent child who:
    • Is under the age of 18
    • Lived with you all year
    • You claim as a personal exemption

If you only receive social security or do not file federal income taxes, the County Clerk's Office will assist filing your Homestead with the Kansas Department of Revenue at no charge. If you file federal income taxes, we cannot process your homestead claim as it will be a part of the federal/state filing process through your tax preparer.

**Note: 2012 was the last year to file Homestead for renters. After 2012, you will only be able to file for homestead if you own your home.